Atmosphere, cryosphere and ocean processes, RG5@BCCR

Welcome to the 'running meeting diary'  for our research group, this is a 'simple as possible'
summary of our meetings, and the most recent meeting notes is allways on top.
The official description of our group is on the BCCR web page.

Group members (In order of appearance, now 30 in total):
Igor Esau, Lars H. Smedsrud, Marek Ostrowski,
Elin Darelius,
Pierre Rampal, Sylvain Bouillon, Jon Bergh, Ilker Fer, Peter Haugan, Joachim Reuder,
Henrik Søiland, Henning Wehde,
Mari Myksvoll, Lars Asplin, Chuncheng Guo, Algot Peterson, Victoria Miles,
Einar Olason, Mostafa B. Paskyabi, Tobias Wolf, Kjersti Daae, Yongbiao Weng, Timothy Williams,
Stephan Kraal,
Omar El Guernaoui, Satoshi Kimura, Johannes Dugstad, Morven Muilwijk, Anthony Bosse  and Lucia Hosekova.

RG5 and BCCR request that members are active participants. The aim for RG5 is to hold 4 meetings
every spring and autumn semester, and we ask that members attend at least 2 meetings annually.
This will be evaluated each year. 

Associated Members (copied on e-mails): Mehmet Ilicak, Paul Hezel, Harald Sodeman, Gudrun Sylte

E-mail list is updated by the Bjerknes Secretariat and everyone in the group can send e-mails to all:
A simple budget for the granted travel/publication costs granted is found at the *bottom* of this page.

Next meeting:  There might be a new meeting in medio June to further discuss the new SKD projects - otherwise this was it ...

The last (?) RG5 meeting, Thursday  June 1. 2017, 12:45 - 14:00 at NERSC

Present: Igor Esau, Lars H. Smedsrud, Harald Sodeman, Algot Peterson, Einar Olason, Tobias Wolf, Satoshi Kimura,  Victoria Miles, Anthony Bosse and Timothy Williams.

We discussed the new selected SKD projects. How can scientists be connected to these new projects?
People are encouraged to contact the selected project leaders. People are somewhat worried about how to connect to the "new" BCCR when the present groups are discontinued over summer.

New projects and papers submitted this spring were shortly presented around the table. Also we discussed new possible EU projects.

RG5 meeting, Friday  May 5. 2017, 12:30 - 14:30 at NERSC.

Present: Igor Esau, Lars H. Smedsrud, Pierre Rampal,  Ilker Fer, Algot Peterson, Einar Olason, Kjersti Daae, Satoshi Kimura,  Victoria Miles, Anthony Bosse.

1.      Overview and questions about sketches and process of the SKD proposals
Submitted sketches for SKD projects. A long list of suggestions covering global climate uncertainties,
        circulations, multi-decadal variability. Lars H: Arctic-Atlantic coupling, Igor: Polar sustainable cities, climate service and management.
        Project suggestions have been grouped by Tore initially into a "Polar/North Atlantic", "Extremes", and "Social" groups, for example.
        Discussion on weather we should merge our suggested projects, or not.  Both Ilker, Pierre and Lars H. are positive to merging the suggestions.

2.      Coordination of proposals to coming POLARPROG, KLIMAFORSK and MILJØFORSK calls (September 6.)
        Suggested projects for September NFR call. Ilker will submit related to MosaiC, Pierre as well on high-resolution simulations.
        Igor will submit something on clouds and the boundary layer. Lars H may take part in a larger UiB proposal including law and ecology.


RG5 meeting, Friday 31. March 2017, 10:15 - 12:00 at NERSC.

Present: Igor Esau, Lars H. Smedsrud, Marek Ostrowski, Pierre Rampal,  Ilker Fer,  Victoria Miles, Algot Peterson, Einar Olason, Tobias Wolf, Kjersti Daae, Timothy Williams,  Johannes Dugstad and Paul Hazel.

Bjerknes days: Will be coordinated with BIFF in October. Harald Sodeman will be the RG5 representative.

NFR calls coming up: KLIMAFORSK, FRIPRO, Marinforsk.

New structure of the BCCR: Four groups: 1) Global, 2) Polar+Atlantic, 3) Extremes and 4) Carbon cycles
Groups will have 40-60 persons. Cross cutting NorESM simulations, Data-centre, Education (CHESS) and Outreach.

New four SKD projects onwards from January 2018: 40 million available in total. Top control - suggestions from the bottom now.
Shortlisted April 5 by leader forum. Decision early May, full proposals in October with budgets.
Central issues: CMIP model simulations, keep critical persons, Bio-Geo-Chemistry, Climate Extremes, Ecosystems, Oxygen-isotopes?

RG5 Suggestions:
1) BASIC#2 (Continue efforts in the Arctic field (MOSAIC), and sea ice simulations, Ilker Fer (Post Doc)
2) Pierre Rampal, Thomas Spengler and Mehmet Ilicak: Atmosphere-Ocean-Ice (AOI) Interactions in Polar and sub-Polar regions: from basic research to services
3) Lars H: Longer-term Arctic-Atlantic Variability (LAVA) Air-Ice-Ocean, simulations and observations, last 150 years, Nordic Seas and Arctic Ocean 
4) Harald Sodeman (SKD strategic project on stable isotopes in the water cycle)

5) Igor: Polar Urban Climate Environment

RG5 travel budget:  We decided to grant 9000,- to all:
1) Yongbiao Weng  (Cruise South Africa) 2) Igor Esau (Workshop, Holland), 3) Ilker Fer (Invited ASSW), 4) Lars H. Smedsrud (invited speaker, EGU)

RG5 meeting, Monday January 9. 2017, 12:45 - 14:00 at NERSC.

Present: Igor, Ilker, Morven, Algot, Lars, Harald, Lars H.  Elin, Anthony, and Einar.

1) New Funding:

a) NFR: Elin Darelius leads  - TOBACO (Weddell Sea + Lab work + Numerical Modelling)
Satoshi participates, 1 PhD student at GFI. Cruise in January 2019. 8 mill NOK. International coordination with different moorings and ice shelf melt radars.

b) NFR: Harald Sodeman - SNOWPACE. (Sources of Norwegian winter snow). Samples from the mountains will give isotopes. Modelling isotopes.
Using FARLAB instruments, cooperation with Statkraft, 1 Post Doc at GFI, 1 PhD in Oslo. 9 mill NOK.

c) NFR: Pierre Rampal + Einar: Frasil, Arctic (The new granular sea ice model, coupled to the NERSC Hycom ocean model). 4 mill NOK?
Related to TOPOAZ system, scaling of fractures, includes biology.

2) Geilo meeting.

Morven is our RG5 person in the commitee (3 RG5 posters, 1 Smedsrud, 2 Søyland, 3 Miles)

Future Challenges: Igor presented initial talk, with 4 main points: 1) Resolution, 2) Parameterizations, 3) Circulation rebalance and 4) Slow Response.
Some feedback was provided, and will be taken into account.

Highlight: Lars H. gives talk on behalf of Algot. 10 minutes.

RG5 meeting, Friday December 2. 2016 12:15 - 14:00 at NERSC.

Present: Igor, Richard, Victoria, Ilker, Tobias, Morven, Johannes Sandanger Dugstad, Yongbiao Weng
Apologies in advance:    Lars-Henrik, Eilin, Jon, Einar, Algot, Joachim
Guest: Anton Korosov

1.   .   Summary from Scientific Advisory Board

SAB constitutes all new members.
-    Strengthen and expand on the Bjerknes focus on polar regions.
-    Address bigger questions in polar research – through interdisciplinary work.
-    Modelling approach in Bjerkness is too broad.
-    Cross-group collaboration and thematic priorities should be identified and supported.
-    Deeper involvement of PhDs and postdocs within Bjerknes center.
Ilker – Was there feedback on BASIC?
Igor – The board were impressed with amount of observational data for small investment.
Ilker – Is their report available to us?
Igor – Yes, I will disseminate.
Action Igor – Share SAB report with RG5 mail-list. (done)
Igor, Tobias,Ilker – Discussion as to the distinction between SKD and Bjerknes center in context of
involvement of PhDs and postdocs in Bjerknes: students involved in e.g. CHESS. SKD money is a subset of Bjerknes overall.

2.  Geilo getaway

Presentation on scientific challenges:

This year the emphasis will be placed more on the scientific challenges and forward-looking discussions than review of science highlights.
Igor – will give a 10 min overview on Scientific challenges. What are these?
Ilker – Challenges related to observation acquisition e.g. it takes a large investment to acquire observations from Greenland. We (Bjerknes) need to be well positioned to collaborate with larger operators in the region to gain new observations. Propose Bjerknes centre support ship-time on existing/planned observation campaigns.
Anton – Distinguish between scientific questions and logistical challenges in addressing them.
Richard – We can have integrated projects which allow us to quantify value of new observations / highlight gaps in existing obs framework. Requires synthesis of modeling and obs work.

Senior scientists are encouraged to present posters.
Igor – Propose that we have three posters – one led by a member from each of IMR, NERSC and UNI.
All – Agreed, although in keeping with Bjerknes ethos these should represent cross-institute work.
Action Igor – Identify potential presenters, with preference to senior scientists.

3.  Anton Korosov – Presentation on automated tracking of sea-ice drift

    Ilker – Can you distinguish between rough water and MIZ?
    Anton – Yes. By combination of brightness and texture.
    Anton – Question as to how to quantify uncertainty in drift projections?
    Igor, Anton – Discussion as to how to extract uncertainty from cross-correlation.
    Anton – Uncertainty also stems from regridding of data onto regular grids.
Anton – Outlook: -Very fast algorithm that works with large amount of data.
             - Works with different grids.
            - Sea-ice drift as a service
    Ilker – What is the new component of this?
    Anton – Speed. Feature tracking is much faster.

RG5 meeting, Friday November 4, 12:15 – 14:15 at NERSC. 

Present: Igor Esau, Elin Darelius,  Algot Peterson, Mostafa B. Paskyabi,  Anthony Bosse, Richard Davey,  Victoria Miles, Yongbiao Weng, and  Lucia Hosekova.

Absent:  Lars H. Smedsrud, Morven Muilwijk, Paul Hezel, Ilker Fer, Satoshi Kimura, Yongbiao Weng, Omar El Guernaoui, Timothy Williams, Henrik Søiland, 
Lars Asplin, Marek Ostrowski,
Sylvain Bouillon, Tobias Wolf, Mari Myksvoll,  Harald Sodemann, Jon Bergh, Jochen Reuder, Pierre Rampal, Peter Haugan, 
Henning Wehde, Einar Olason
Kjersti Daae, Johannes Dugstad, and Stephan Kraal.

1.   Welcome of the new members (Anthony Bosse, postdoc of Ilker Fer; Lucia Hosekova, sea ice modeling at NERSC)

Lucia Hosekova - working with Laurent and Tim on waves and sea ice.

Anthony Bosse   - working on mesoscale variability in the Lofoten basin & turbulence measurements.

2.    Discussion: RG5 contribution to the SKD midterm evaluation meeting (results and N-ICE, INTAROS, PEEX, other activities?)

Igor – seeking contributions from members for 30 min presentation to scientific advisory board next week – 7th to 8th November. Broken into three parts:

A: Observations.
N-ICE (material on this already available).
Elin – I have material on Antarctica fieldwork.
Action Elin – Two slides to be sent to Igor before close of business Monday 7th Nov. One on field research, one on high-impact publication.

B: Process studies and modeling
  Tim – I can provide something on wave-sea-ice interactions
Action Tim – One slide to Igor on wave-interaction work before close of business Monday 7th Nov.
Pierre – We have material on NextSIM suitable for such a presentation.
Action Pierre - One slide on NextSIM results to Igor before close of business Monday 7th Nov.

C: Highlights

      Algot -  Most work in BASIC – trying to avoid crossover with BASIC presentation which will also be given.
      Pierre – Can we find some way to highlight the remote sensing work.
      Igor – Agreed there is question as to how this work relates to RG5 – discussion tabled.
      Igor – Can all send new (since July) publications to me?
    Action All – Send any publications that have come out since July to Igor.
      Igor – There is money left unspent from current year’s budget, approx 36 kNok. Any requests for use of these funds to be sent to Igor and Lars-Henrik as soon as possible.
     Action All –Applications seeking to use this money to be sent to Igor and Lars-Henrik.

3.    Stephanie Mayer (Uni Research) will present Climate Services activity at BCCR
  This is a virtual center using existing institutions, funded by Norwegian Environment Agency.
  Examples of recent work include creation of climate change fact-sheets for each of the counties in Norway. Visit for details.
Stephanie – We are seeking feedback and / or contributions, though not major changes, which are not likely to be implemented. There will be a user workshop on Dec 7th in Oslo – contact Stephanie if you wish to attend.
 Igor – Who is using this service? Who really needs the information that we can provide beyond obligated institutions?
Stephanie – Provide educational role. Local governments have obligations for climate change mitigation plans. Facilitate communication between researchers and authoritative Environmental Agency advice.
Igor – Climate services already exist, what is the gap filled by service center?
Stephanie – We are originating a user-driven approach rather than previously-used top-down hierarchy. Users are engaged from planning stages onwards.
Algot – Clarification: How is it different from traditional Environmental Agency approach?
Algot – Rather than climate planning based on historical climatologies, using statistics of projected change for planning.
Stephanie – Role of NCCS is to process and distill existing data.
Igor – We have projections for 21st century, how are new projections included?
Stephanie – This is a challenge for end users as new data obtained from researchers every few years.
Elin – Does anyone pay for these services?
Stephanie – The government.
Pierre – How does it work with setting goals/priorities?
Stephanie – We have round-table discussion including researchers/users/facilitators to determine what questions users need answering that the researchers are in a position to address.
They often want more local information than we are capable of providing.

Pierre – You mentioned county-level reports. Is there interest in such reports for other areas which are covered by our scientific interests (and business interests such as in the Arctic).

Stephanie – No, but there is likely to be a focus on Spitsbergen in coming years following the natural disaster there recently.

4.    Mustafa Paskyabi will overview the ocean measuring equipment
      Tim – These instruments are in shallow water?
      Mostafa – Yes, there are plans for deep water observations too, but these will require further
refinement of measurement techniques.
      Igor – Very nice review of small scale effects – what about the larger scale?
      Mostafa – Our conclusion is that the presence of wind farms does not significantly alter the mean
flow, but can have  a large impact on the turbulent fluxes in the region. We also know that the presence of these wind farms can trigger upwelling / downwelling in the surrounding regions.

5.    AOB
6.    BASIC project brief meeting (only the project participants)      Igor

      15 minute presentation scheduled. Should be focused on more in-depth scientific results.
      Framework – what are the new processes in the Blue Arctic?

RG5 meeting, September 30, 12:15 – 14:15, Helland-Hansen, GFI. 

Present: Igor Esau, , Elin Darelius,  Algot Peterson, Mostafa B. Paskyabi,  Satoshi Kimura,  Kjersti Daae, Johannes Dugstad, 
Morven Muilwijk, Paul Hezel.
and Lars H. Smedsrud.

Absent:  Ilker Fer, Yongbiao Weng, Omar El Guernaoui,Victoria Miles, Timothy Williams, Richard Davey, Henrik Søiland, 
Lars Asplin,   Marek Ostrowski,
Sylvain Bouillon, Tobias Wolf, Mari Myksvoll,  Harald Sodemann, Jon Bergh, Jochen Reuder,
Pierre Rampal,   Peter Haugan, Valerie Kumer, Henning Wehde, Einar Olason and Stephan Kraal. 

Round Table round of updates on papers and new members.

RG5 - Travel budgets:
Only 28.000 has been billed at SKD so far. Application for research stay from Jochen.
Call for travel grants by e-mail to Lars H. and Igor before 10:00 Friday 7. October.

Talk by Algot:
Presenting paper covering Lance Drift (NICE-2015) and turbulence observations.
Heat fluxes peak over varm water in June at >350 W/m^2, but are generally low (1-5 W/m^2).
Wind events increase heat fluxes even in the deep Nansen Basin during winter.

Talk by Igor:
PEEX: Pan European Experiment. Infrastructure, climate change and air quality.
Russian, Chinese, and European reserachers:
NERSC is only partner in Bergen. A network of researchers, no permanent funding.
Next meeting in Moscow 19-21. September 2017. A focus is to cooperate with social scientists.

INTAROS EU project, talk by Stein Sandven (NERSC) :
Intergrated Arctic Observing System, 15.5 Euro's, 20 countries are partners. 2017 - 2021.
Intergrated with other Arctic EU projects: EUPolarNet, INTAROS, APPLICATE (AWI, Jung), BLUE ACTION (DMI, Olsen).
Create new strategy (WP1), Exploit existingobserving system (WP2), Improve existing observation systems (WP3),
enhance community-based observations (WP4), better integrated databases (WP6).
Help people actually using observations and climate predictions.
Add more instruments in Fram Strait - AWI activity. Coordinate with Year of Polar Prediction 2018 (YOP),
and ice breakers (Oden). Sattelites needs ground truthing - existing remote sensing is sufficient. 

RG5 meeting, August 26, 12:15 – 14:15, NERSC

Present: Igor Esau, Ilker Fer, Victoria Miles, Timothy Williams, Richard Davey, Elin Darelius,  Algot Peterson, Mostafa B. Paskyabi, Yongbiao Weng, Omar El Guernaoui, Satoshi Kimura, Harald Sodemann, Jon Bergh, Jochen Reuder, Kjersti Daae, Johannes Dugstad and Lars H. Smedsrud.

Absent:  Henrik Søiland, Lars Asplin,   Marek Ostrowski, Sylvain Bouillon, Tobias Wolf, Mari Myksvoll, 
Pierre Rampal,  
Peter Haugan, Valerie Kumer, Henning Wehde, Einar Olason and Stephan Kraal. 

BCCR and RG5 overview by Igor.  The four partners. The focus of RG5:
Duties: Promote BCCR, use BCCR affiliation on papers, come to RG meetings.
Benefits: Internal SKD projects, travel grants, visitor grants, publication costs.
Harald noted that we should prevet Google and other robots to search this web page, this has been implemented now.

Omar  (PhD student, Jochen is supervisor) :
Boundary Layer Meteorology – surface inhomogeneities.  Using observations from a campaign in France in 2011. Working with vertical turbulence, blending height, and transition during late afternoon. Large eddy simulations using PALM.

Yongbiao (PhD student, Harald is supervisor) :
Simulating moisture Sources. Backtracking rain and snow, for example for ice cores on Greenland.  Describing how evaporation, formation of clouds, precipitation as snow, and melting to rain affects isotope abundance.

Satoshi  (New Researcher at NERSC) :
PhD in stable atmospheric layer from Oregaon. Post Doc at BAS working with ice shelves in the Amundsen Sea. Working with NeXtSIM with Pierre et al.

Johannes Dugstad (PhD on Lofoten project, Ilker is supervisor)
Vorticity Dynamics in the Lofoten project. 

Recent publications all involving Jochen.
1) Jochen + Martin Comparing bouy and mast based turbulence observations.
2) Mostafa and Jochen: Automated measurements of white caps using camera.  3) Jochen : SUMO planes – how to use them, and what they can do.
4) Scale-effects based on SUMO, quad copter, Thermal camera’s. 5) Valerie + Jochen: LIDAR observations around a windfarm.

POLARPROG proposal: Elin (Antarctica) + Harald (Isotopes + Antarctic)
FRIKLIM: Igor and Lars H.

RG5 meeting, June 3, 12:15 – 14:15 a.m., NERSC cinema

Present: Joachim Reuder, Harald Sodeman, Lars H. Smedsrud, Igor Esau, Jon Bergh, Elin Darelius, Mostafa B. Paskyabi and Stephan Kraal. 

Absent:  Henrik Søiland, Ilker Fer, Lars Asplin,  Algot Peterson, Marek Ostrowski, Sylvain Bouillon, Tobias Wolf, Mari Myksvoll, 
Pierre Rampal, Victoria Miles, Yongbiao Weng, Timothy Williams,
Peter Haugan, Valerie Kumer, Henning Wehde, Einar Olason and Kjersti Daae.

- Detelina Ivanova: NorESM development and future plans
  CMIP6 version, different components, resolution, improvements of ocean variability in the Arctic.
  reformulated Gent-McWilliams eddy enduced transports. Improved eddy-diffusivity.
  Using CICE5 and prognostic sea ice salinity, melt ponds, blowing snow, reducing snow thickness.
  Carbon and permafrost versions also developed.

- Discussion on how we can contribute to the overall development of NorESM in general.
  We agree that we need to work with NorESM as a tool for future projections, and that it is
  quite hard to contribute to the development because of the constraints on the coupling.
  Evaluation of CMIP6 simuations should be a good start on what to improve for CMIP7.

- Mostafa: Travel report from the US (WHOI + Ocean Outlook + Rhode Island etc.)
  New WHOI ship R/V Neil Armstrong, Wave and upper ocean observations from a tower in 15 m depth
  outside Martha's Vinyard. New paper under submission on Turbulence anisotrophy.
  Also under ice turbulence from ITP's.

- FriNat Proposals submitted:
  Harald Sodemann (SnowPace, sources of Norwegian Snowpack),
  Øyvind Breivik (+ Mostafa, Wavemixing and effects on climate models),
  Igor: Rectification effect about asymetric concentrations,
  Richard: (Tracktion, Stable atmospheric boundary layers in climate models),
  Ola M: (+Victoria, Greenland ice shelf melting from ocean heat),

- Discussion of RG5 leadership.
  RG5 would still like to have a meeting every month (4-5 each semester).
  Lars H is the Co-PI of RG5, and would like to announce that he could step down from this post. Suggestions are welcome, further discussion in August

RG5 meeting, April 29, 10:00 – 12:00 a.m., Lecture room at NERSC

Present:, Lars H. Smedsrud, Igor Esau, Jon Bergh, Ilker Fer, Elin Darelius, Algot Peterson, Marek Ostrowski,
Joachim Reuder, Harald Sodeman, Pierre Rampal, Victoria Miles, Yongbiao Weng and Timothy Williams.

 Mostafa B. Paskyabi, Henrik Søiland, Lars Asplin,  Sylvain Bouillon, Natalia Ivanova, Tobias Wolf, Mari Myksvoll,
Chuncheng Guo, Peter Haugan, Valerie Kumer, Henning Wehde, Einar Olason and Kjersti Daae.

Change: Add Stephan Kraal (New GFI, PhD student), Transfer
Chuncheng to another RG.      Victoria: Helheim paper published, Atmospheric stability (urban heat island, vegetation effects) paper on the way. Boulder Workshop using RG5 funding.
    Algot: Under ice turbulence paper - to be submitted to JGR before July 31.
    Ilker: Three projects Arctic and Lofoten, several papers: Double Diffusion in Amundsen Basin, Weddell Turbulence, and paramtrization, Faroe Bank Channel.
    Tim: Waves and Sea Ice - scattering of waves by sea ice in models. Swell (10 - 30s periods) can travel > 200 km into sea ice.
    Jochen: 4 papers on atmospheric bounadry stuff, using SUMO (mountains in France), a tower in the German Bight, and accoustics related to Wind Energy. ISOBAR started now working an Arctic stuff, relevant for BASIC internal SKD project.
    Jon: Sea Ice Dynamics using IABP bouys with virtual ones in the NextSIM and TOPAZ models. Paper on the way now. Also doing waves in ice.
    Harald: Isotope work relevant for Arctic evaporation. A few locations were this is measured in the North Atlantic (Iceland, Russia, etc.) FARLAB will measure this at GFI.  
Yongbiao: Testing the Picarro instrument for future setup in the GFI tower. Measuring stable isotopes directly on atmospheric moisture.    
    Elin: Amundsen Sea - spent the winter on Korean Ice Breaker. Paper: Warm water arriving at the Filchner Ice Shelf front due to wind forcing. June Workshop in Bergen.
    Pierre: Papers: Lead fraction dataset, 20-30% of previous estimates (SKD funded project, Ivanova et al), Freeboard estimates from ICESat, NeXtSIM evaluation (Rampal et al), Fluxes through leads using NeXtSIM (Olason & Rampal)
    Marek:  Predictability of Eastern Tropical Atlantic (PreFace), Lack of observations - but Norwegian Nansen Programme data, belong to African countries.  Need to train people in Angola, f. ex. Upwelling due to Kelvin waves, locked to one season, importance for fisheries. Papers in progress. 
    Lars H:  Papers: Frams Strait Ice Export since 1935 (Smedsrud et al, subitted 2016), and Freshwater increase of Arctic rivers (Nummelin et al, JGR 2016) 
    Igor: Boundary layer in Earth Climate system (Nature Comm,  Davy & Esau, 2016)

Travel applications for 2016:
- Victoria Miles, 12.000, International Arctic Workshop, Boulder USA
- Mostafa Bakhoday, 10.000, Ocean Science + Woods Hole, USA
- Natalia Ivanova, 10.000,
European Space Agency Living Planet Symposium 2016,  Prague, Czech
- Henrik Søyland, 10.000,- Ocean Science, Total cost 27.000,-   

Research Group meeting for RG5: NERSC, Tuesday 15. December, 2015. 10:15 - 12:30

, Lars H. Smedsrud, Igor Esau, Henrik Søiland, Mostafa B. Paskyabi, Jon Bergh, Victoria Miles,
Ilker Fer,
Elin Darelius, Kjersti DaaeJoachim Reuder, Harald Sodeman, Yongbiao Weng, and Timothy Williams.

Pierre Rampal, Lars Asplin, Algot Peterson, Marek Ostrowski, Sylvain Bouillon, Natalia Ivanova, Tobias Wolf.
Mari Myksvoll, Chuncheng Guo, Peter Haugan, Valerie Kumer, Henning Wehde and Einar Olason.

RG5 summary in 2015: Now 25 members, 18 publications, 6 meetings i 2015.

Fast Track Initiative, spring 2016: RG5 - Darelius: Warm inflow towards the Filchner-Ronne Ice Shelf.
BCCR visitor proposals granted, spring 2016:: Fer&Skagseth(Padman) + Onarheim et al (Close). 

New granted FRINAT projects based in RG5
Ilker - Lofoten Basin Watermass transformation. Lateral and vertical mixing rates.
This project will do the first turbulence observations . Slope Current, Tha Basin, the Mohn Ridge.
Field work in 2016 and 2017. RAFOS floats, Seagliders.

Jochen - ISOBAR. Innovative Strategies of the Arctic Boundary Layer (ABL)
Quadcopters and SUMO observations. Stable boundary layers and large heterogeneties.
WRF simulations and Large Eddy Simulations  (Uni Research).  
Stephan Kraal is already connected but will have to apply for the 3 year PhD.

Geilo Getaway 2016
Henrik is the RG5 coordinator for Geilo.
Overview of RG5 (Lars H) including N-ICE 2015 work (ocean + atmosphere) (20 min).
Will include ABL work from Bergen (Igor + Tobias), Lead detection (Natalia) and turbulence under ice (Algot+Ilker).

Highlight from RG5 (Timothy Williams) Waves and Sea Ice work (20 min)
Posters: Marek, Victoria, Algot, Igor, Lars H
Harald sodeman presentation of own work: Stable Isotopes - use and the new  Lab (Farlab)
Evaporation and the heavy isotopes, and how/where they leave before you get
precipitation in the high Arctic. FARLAB (Facility for Advanced isotopic Research)
Climate, Weather, and Biogeochemical Cycling. Grant have made it possible to buy instruments.
Example of previous work from airplane campaign over Corsika.

Research Group meeting for RG5: NERSC, Friday 20. November, 2015. 13:15 - 14:45

, Lars H. Smedsrud, Igor Esau, Henrik Søiland, Mostafa B. Paskyabi, Lars Asplin, Victoria Miles,
Natalia Ivanova,
Joachim Reuder, Harald Sodeman, Yongbiao Weng, Timothy Williams and Tobias Wolf.

Pierre Rampal, Algot Peterson, Marek Ostrowski, Jon Bergh, Ilker Fer, Elin Darelius, Sylvain Bouillon,
Mari Myksvoll, 
Chuncheng Guo, Peter Haugan, Valerie Kumer, Henning Wehde, Kjersti Daae and Einar Olason.

New members: Timothy Williams, Harald Sodeman, and Yongbiao Weng.

Summary of activities during spring by Lars H.

"Fast Track" initiative for December 1:
- Visiting researcher Nikita Kusse-Tyuz (AARI)
- No other initiatives?

RG5 "spending budget":
We have only used 18.000 out of 80.000 available. Money will NOT be transfered to 2017.
New "applications" (e-mail to Igor & Lars H.)  are welcomed before Monday 7. December.

Annual BCCR Geilo meeting 2016:
Henrik Søyland will be the IMR and RG5 representative. Send ideas to him by e-mail.

Activity in 2015 for all, report to Igor by e-mail:
- Talks, Posters, Papers, Visitors, Projects, Proposals,

BCCR discussion: Should BCCR incorporate "Social Science", or should this be done outside BCCR?
- Incorporating "Social Science" could be started as a new RG in "Social Science".
   (This could also be done across the RG's - where there are social scientists in all RG's)
- The "danger" in doing this is perhaps that we "destroy" the good name of the BCCR?
- No strong feelings in RG5, but we would all like to keep the strong "Bjerknes Brand".
- Further discussion is needed, a good point for the Annual Geilo meeting, but people are somewhat positive too.
- RG5 researchers are already involved in several projects that has a "social dimension", so this activity is already taking place

Research Group meeting for RG5: NERSC, Tuesday 9. June, 2015. 11:15 - 12:30
Present:, Lars H. Smedsrud,  Pierre Rampal, Algot Peterson, Marek Ostrowski, Jon Bergh, Ilker Fer,
Victoria Miles, Natalia Ivanova, Einar Olason, Paul Hezel, Joachim Reuder and Tobias Wolf.
Absent: Igor Esau, Elin Darelius, Henrik Søiland, Sylvain Bouillon, Mari Myksvoll, Chuncheng Guo, Peter Haugan,
Valerie Kumer,
Henning Wehde,  Mostafa B. Paskyabi, Lars Asplin and Kjersti Daae.
Welcome, Budget: Short summary of budget that is available for the autumn semester. We should have about 35.000,-
available and you can "apply" with an e-mail with a tentative deadline September 1.
Proposals: Shotrt round of ongoing and recently submitted proporsal. Natalia will send one on lead fraction, for Norwegian Space Centre.
Ilker: SFF on air-sea-interaction at high latitudes, Einar + Pierre: ice modelling for Klimaforsk,
Jochen: Wind energy work,  Isobar application submitted using SUMO to FriPro

Presentation by Tobias Wolf:  Tobias is a PhD in a small project to study pollution in Bergen related to large scale atmospheric circulation.
Supervised by Igor and Jochen. Days of high pollution occur during winter. Proxy from 10 m wind, 2 m SAT, and clouds applied on ERA-Interim data.
Very high pollution values during winter 2009-2010 and 2010-2011. High resolution model (5m*5m*5m, Large Eddy Simulation, LES)
with high resolution topography in the Bergen Valley.  A challenge to simulate the inversion.  

Upcoming presentations: Algot and Marek : Talk about what they work on.

Research Group meeting for RG5: NERSC, Tuesday 21. April, 2015. 11:15 - 13:00
Present:, Lars H. Smedsrud,  Elin Darelius, Pierre Rampal, Sylvain Bouillon, Richard Davy,
Victoria Miles, Natalia Ivanova, Mari Myksvoll, Einar Olason, Paul Hezel, 

Igor Esau, Henrik Søiland, Algot Peterson, Marek Ostrowski, Jon Bergh, Ilker Fer,
Chuncheng Guo,
  Peter Haugan, Valerie Kumer, Henning Wehde, Joachim Reuder, Mostafa B. Paskyabi,
Lars Asplin,
  Mehmet Ilicak, Tobias Wolf and Kjersti Daae.

Evaluation of "active membership": November 2013 - March 2015 (7 meetings)
To impose the new "active requirement" gradually, attendance was evaluated for these
7 last meetings, and those that were present at less than two meetings were requested
to confirm their onwards active participation. These where: Henning, Marek, Ricard, Einar and Peter.
Some new members have also attended less than two meetings, but these will have all of 2015
to get up to speed.  A new evaluation will be done spring 2016. As it stands now
Henning, Marek and Peter are regarded as "not active".

Lars H: Fram Strait sea ice area export and the September sea ice cover.
Summary of previous results on ice export, and new values onwards from 2011.
Export is still high (>1000.000 km^2 annualy), and spring export correlates with
the follwoing September cover. But this is hard "to prove". Ongoing work,
and a "proper" study with 3D model runs that shows an increasing ece export would be best.

Einar: nextSIM model - remeshing and thermodynamical evolution
Role of leads in air-ice-ocean interaction. Towards seasonal simulations.
Larger heat fluxes due to larger areas of open water compared to Topaz system.
Plans for adding more processes that simulates the summer fully, and get the model
in shape for being the sea-ice model of the NorESM in the future (no firm plans yet).

Short summary of the new "Polar Science Network" hosted by the University.
More information about that here:

Research Group meeting for RG5: NERSC, Tuesday 24. March, 2015. 11:15 - 13:00

Present:, Lars H. Smedsrud,  Elin Darelius, Pierre Rampal, Sylvain Bouillon, Jon Bergh, Ilker Fer,
Chuncheng Guo, Victoria Miles, Natalia Ivanova, 
Mari Myksvoll, Joachim Reuder,  and Mostafa B. Paskyabi,

Igor Esau, Henrik Søiland, Algot Peterson, Marek Ostrowski, Richard Davy, Peter Haugan, Valerie Kumer, Henning Wehde,
Lars Asplin, 
Einar Olason, Mehmet Ilicak, Paul Hezel, Tobias Wolf and Kjersti Daae

Victoria:  Variability of marine-terminating outlet glaciers on Greenland.
Relevant for the ice2ice project and the Margins SKD project. She is also involved in a new Belmont Forum
project wih Igor on urban heat islands in the Arctic.

Ilker: CHASI ( Centre for High Latitude Air Sea Intercation)
5 page proposal in November then 15 pages ERC-style in stage 2.

-    Natalia to give Ilke contact to Anton Korosov
-    Idea of Fish farming forced by wave energy to bring in IMR not relevant because it is that has such experience.
-    Pierre et al. to bring some contributions to it

Natalia: Lead-project from RG5, 800.000,- granted as SKD special project.

RG5 spending money budget:  
We suggest an upper maximum limit of 10.000,- per person per year, and thus expect to be able to
cover 50% of a trip or part of a publication every second year for members. We have 80.000,-
available each year, and about 10.000,- will be used to cover lunch at the meetings.
The running granted travel funding is listed at the *bottom* of this page.
About 35.000 should be reserved for autumn 2015.

Research Group meeting for RG5: NERSC, 17. February, 2015. 11:15 - 13:00

, Lars H. Smedsrud,  Elin Darelius, Pierre Rampal, Sylvain Bouillon, Jon Bergh, Ilker Fer, Henrik Søiland,
Chuncheng Guo, Algot Peterson, Victoria Miles, Natalia Ivanova,
Mehmet Ilicak, Paul Hezel, and Tobias Wolf.

Igor Esau, Marek Ostrowski, Richard Davy, Peter Haugan, Valerie Kumer, Henning Wehde, Mari Myksvoll,
Lars Asplin,
Joachim Reuder, Einar Olason, Mostafa B. Paskyabi and Kjersti Daae.

- The BCCR membership - benefits and duties!  
   In short members need to use BCCR affiliation, BCCR logo's, and be active at meetings and in proposal writing.
   People that are not active will be contacted, and taken off the member list, and can return at a later stage if they will be active.

- Bjerknes publications : Send the PDF to  RG5 leader and when it is ACCEPTED.
The Bjerknes secretariat will add this to Cristin - no points lost to own institution.
All RG5 publications that describe climate processes and have one BCCR author is a Bjerknes publication.
The detailed instructions can be found in this PDF.

- Natlia gave a nice talk about:
Remote sensing algorithms of thin sea ice (leads), new ways to estimate this better,
passive microwave problems related to melt ponds that look like open ocean water, and retrieval of snow depth.
Link to PDF of the presentation here.

- Lunch 

- RG5 suggestion to BCCR for "extra money" - deadline 20. February
  We discussed a few options. Gliders, new profiling floats that measure current share, and the
  other suggestions we knew exist from other groups.  In the end we would like to do something on high
resolution (time and space) modelling of the ocean-ice coupling (tides).  This is not "a low hanging fruit"
but a good option for future cooperation. Working up a new data set on leads (thin ice) based on AMSR
from 2002 - 2014 might be the best thing we can do. Still discussing this at time of writing....

Research Group meeting for RG5: NERSC, 2. December, 2014. 09:15 - 12:00

Present: Igor Esau, Lars H. Smedsrud, Henrik Søiland, Einar Olason, Chuncheng Guo, Valerie Kumer, 
Pierre Rampal, Algot Peterson, Natalia Ivanova, Victoria Miles, Lars Asplin, Elin Darelius, Paul Hezel,

Not present: 
Ilker Fer, Jon Bergh, Mostafa B. Paskyabi, Marek Ostrowski, Richard Davey, Sylvain Bouillon, Peter Haugan,
Joachim Reuder, Henning Wehde, Mari Myksvoll

1) Administrative issues:

Travel/publishing applications: Mehmet (8000,-) and Lars H. (4500,-) granted, the rest of the money transferred to next year.

2) Geilo Meeting. (Lars A. and Elin are also coming altough they are not on the list)
An "interview" of the RG leaders on a broad topic, and two highlights from RG5: Richard and Elin. 10 min each including questions.
Main questions: "Parametrizations and better resolution of models". "What is a good model?"
Bring up RG5 work themes: Ice shelves, Internal waves, Lagrangian ice model, Grease ice, atmospheric entrainment, Fast ice, Whales,
Spagetthi plots, Glacier fronts?

3) Summary from the Leader Group meeting last week, Changes in RG leaders, Bjerknes visitor projects.
    Also the objectivity in the decision making around the internal projects.

4) FTI proposals from RG5:   Victoria (Urban effect on vegetation, 200.000) Elin (Melting Radar for Getz Iceshelf, 160.000),
     Elin (Seasonality of shelf waves, 200.000), Einar (Fast ice model, 200.000),  
     Tor Eldevik and Lars H. (Seasonality of Arctic sea ice, 200.000)

5) Bjerknes visitor appliactions (suggest changing it to applications for 1. december for full year of 2015)
     For June appliactions from following Augist to next June.

6)  Scientififc talk by Igor "Process - Parameterization - Model"
      How can we make our process understanding valuable for the larger models?
      There are many constrains, like lack of "physical parameters (Eddy viscosity)" for proper evaluation.
      Also aspects with computer run-time and adding a large number of subroutines.  
      Double parametrization due to increased resolution.
      When the model starts to resolve the physical phenomena the parametrization should change radically.
      Entrainment in atmopshere has a very large effect on global climare - basically an unknow and unmeasurable parameter.
      This, autoconversion (producing precipitaion) and critical humidity togeather produces ~60% of climate variability.
      Single Column Model (SCM) approach to study processes, this will happen in the internal project BASIC.

Link to PDF of Igors presentation here


Research Group meeting for RG5: NERSC, 7. November, 2014. 09:15 - 12:00

Present: Igor Esau, Lars H. Smedsrud, Ilker Fer, Jon Bergh, Chuncheng Guo,  Mehmet Ilicak, Mostafa B. Paskyabi
Arrived late: Gudrun Sylte, Pierre Rampal, 

Not present: Marek Ostrowski, Richard Davey, Sylvain Bouillon, Peter Haugan, Joachim Reuder,
Henning Wehde,  Henrik Søiland, Mari Myksvoll, Lars Asplin, Valerie Kumer, Elin Darelius

1) Presenting new RG5 members

2) Info drift funding from BCCR to RG5, 40kNOK 2014 and 80kNOK 2015, still money to be used in 2014.
For money, apply to leaders following common regulation. Only part funding for travels.
Applications that involve publications where more than one institution is represented will be priritized.

Discussion of Bjerkness affiliation papers etc.

Bjerknes is a voluntary “membership”, but projects that are climate research projects and involve more than
one BCCR institution shall be presented using the BCCR loge etc. People may use their own or the BCCR logo
if they present other projects, or give general talks. 

“Rules”: apply twice a year, before each ½ year, groups leaders decide, ca 1/3 page describe conference or paper and Bjerknes collaboration.

3) Bjerknes GetAway 12-14 Jan. Igor send out invitation, limited space.
When apply send e-mail to Igor as well.
Research highlights at the GetAway, suggestions: 1) Chuncheng, 2) Elin D., 3) Ilker F., 4) Tobias W, not in order.

4)  Projects and proposal
Fast Track Iniitiativ spring 2015. Ilker suggest Chuncheng ca 150 kNOK, Igor suggest Victoria ca ?,

Ongoing Projects:
Basic 2015-2017 – likely to be founded, decision 23 Dec.
Lance Drift, Lars Hendrik S. presenting ppt
Polarforskningsnettverket UiB and later other institutes in Bergen, IMR, Nansen, UniRes, etc will be invited.

PEEX project, Igor, Network of experiments, today mainly land few ocean.  Involvement from Russia, China, EU, Norway, Finland etc. NERSC is member.

5)     Research
Activity Ilker, Projects:Faroe Bank Channel Overflow Dynamics and Mixing,
On Thin Ice, Antarctic ice shelves and ocean climate
Field work: NICE cruice Yermak Plateau Sep 2014, Hovercraft drift , IMR cruice Sep 2014

Igor: Air quality hazards under present and future climate conditions in Bergen, Tobias W. and Igor E.
Urban Climate 2014.

6) New meeting in beginning of December.


Research Group meeting for RG5: NERSC, 18. June, 2014. 13:00 - 14:10

Present: Igor Esau, Lars H. Smedsrud, Ilker Fer, Valerie Kumer, Elin Darelius,

Not present:  Pierre Rampal, Jon Bergh, Marek Ostrowski, Richard Davey, Sylvain Bouillon, Peter Haugan, Joachim Reuder,
Henning Wehde,
Chuncheng Guo, Henrik Søiland, Mari Myksvoll, Lars Asplin, 

New member: Algot Peterson.

1) Bjerknes Centre klimadag (October 1.2014) We need  one representative from RG5.
Valerie Kumer would like to participate here.

2) Status of the SKD pre-proposals (final information summary)
8 proposals are selected for the onwards process in writing internal projects.
BASIC will go forward, with some elements from GRADIENTS and I-CRYON.
(The I-CRYON project has stated that they will not like to join in further).

3) Research briefs/achievements and presentations/publications/conferences
- Esau (2014) has new results on size of ocean convection and related size of
  atmospheric convection. Size of domain is 3*3 km, 15 m horizontal delta x.
- Smedsrud: Onarheim et al (2014) shows loss of sea ice during winter north of Svalbard.
- Kumer just submitted a LIDAR paper, and is planning a new campaign in the Netherland
- Fer: Wind energy and waves, Damocles review paper, and a few other things
- Darelius: Submitted paper on Filchner Depression circulation with people at BAS.

4) Approaching new calls with deadline in September 3. 2014
Eco-systems and processes will be prioritized.
We also agree to submit a project "similar" to the BASIC proposal.
Project will be extended, and based on som previous good projects that were not funded.

5) The day of the first fall meeting of RG5 (to be settled well in advance)
We will send out a reminder, and have a meeting in september.
Deadline is before summer on the doodle above.


Research Group meeting for RG5: NERSC, 6. February, 2014. 10:00 - 12:00
Present: Igor Esau, Lars H. Smedsrud,  Elin Darelius,  Pierre Rampal, Jon Bergh, Ilker Fer,  Henrik Søiland, Mari Myksvoll, Lars Asplin, 

Not present: Marek Ostrowski, Richard Davey, Sylvain Bouillon, Peter Haugan, Valerie Kumer, Joachim Reuder, Henning Wehde, Chuncheng Guo,

Most of the meeting we discussed the new internal BCCR (SKD) projects.
Projects start 1. January 2015 and end December 2017.
Proposal due mid March. People in RG5 is to distribute their 1 page idea to all others before March 1.

Criteria: 2-2.5 MNOK/year, partial funding only (should have >50% inkind), within strategic areas of BCCR,
Should be integrated between RG's and Uni, IMR, NERSC and UiB (at least 3 parters, best with all four). No new people will get funding/salary.

The pre-proposal should be 1 page. Assesment will be either 1,2,3;
1) Outside the research area of BCCR
2) Merge with other proposals
3) Write "proper" longer proposal after invitation from the BCCR leader group.
List of suggestions from RG5 people:

A) Marginal Ice Zone processes in heterogenous fields (Esau, Davy, others?). Barents Kara Seas, process models, atmospheric fluxes, not NorESM.

B) Greenland Ice Shelf melting project with ROMS (Asplin, Myksvoll, ) ROMS high resolution model simulations, continuation of SeaLev, NorESM link, link to Elins Antarctic project.  

C) I-KRYON (Ilicak, Rampal, Spengler). Cryospheric coupling in NorESM. Both new NERSC sea ice model into NorESM, and explore ice shelf component. Ocean and Atmosphere flux parametrization. 

D) Processes (Fer, Bentsen, Smedsrud) Ocean mixing, brine rejection, downflow, Ice-Ocean interaction project (Algot Petterson GFI), boundary layer processes, internal waves, etc.

E) Greenland freshwater effects on GIN Seas (Våge, Søiland, Reuder, Jeansson). Effects on pelagic ecosystem, pathways into Nordic Seas, cold freshwater insuation. 

F) Arctic Drift project with RV Lance spring 2015 (Smedsrud, Fer, Petterson, Reuder). Surface fluxes, sub ice fluxes, AW heat mixing, sea ice thickness. 

Probably A+D+F will merge into one. Our RG then "supports" 4 proposals B), C) E) and A+D+F).

Finally we had a discussion of future development of NorESM versus other models.

Homework 1) Describe your different models and related prcesses that is resolved in a good way. Igor will send out a template.

Homework 2) Try to demonstrate how your "process" is important for the large scale climate


Research Group meeting for RG5: NERSC, 20. November, 2013. 09:00 - 11:45
Present: Igor Esau, Lars H. Smedsrud, Marek Ostrowski, Elin Darelius, Richard Davey, Pierre Rampal, Sylvain Bouillon, and Jon Bergh .
Not present: Ilker Fer, Peter Haugan, Valerie Kumer, Joachim Reuder, Henrik Søiland, and Henning Wehde.

New members after this meeting: Mari Myksvoll, Lars Asplin, Chuncheng Guo,


Igor Esau (NERSC): Research director G. C. Rieber institute. Surface turbulence in polar regions. These are very heterogeneous and variable. Working on parameterizations for  large scale models. Example from Kara sea, with lead fractions, and cloud streaks.

Lars H. Smedsrud (GFI,UiB): Associate Professor. Field work, lab work, and process modelling in Polar Oceanography. Example on grease ice parametrization motivated by field work in the Storfjorden Polynya on Svalbard.

Marek Ostrowski (IMR): Tropical Upwelling and Bilogical production. Angola, Peru and an example from Jan Mayen. New EU project PREFACE (2014-2018) air-sea interaction east of Africa around the equator.

Elin Darelius (GFI,UiB): Post Doc. Working on dense overflows in the Faroe Channel, and the Weddell Sea. Moorings and CTD sections. Regional models in cooperation at Akvaplan-NIVA (Tromsø). Norklima project 50 % (2014-2015).

Richard Davey (NERSC): Planetary Boundary Layer change with climate change. Global Models. Historical runs. Shallow layers are least understood. Models treat the boundary layers differently. Apply this to the Arctic in future studies.

Pierre Rampal & Sylvain Bouillon (NERSC): Post Doc. Arctic Sea Ice modelling. Retreating, Thinning, Accelerating, Warming. Classical albedo feedback + deformation/acceleration feedback. Improve the NERSC sea ice model. Evaluate and Intialize with remotely sensed data. New rheology.  Impact for CO2 exchange, Biology, etc.

Jon Bergh (NERSC): Ocean modelling with sea ice. Under-ice Norklima project (2014 – 2016). Internal waves, eddies, double diffusion, sea ice motion. Parameterization. Ice mask  for mixing schemes needed, because “standard” values are generally not defined under sea ice.


Henrik Søyland: Physical Oceanograper (IMR). Data processing, Lofoten Basin, Iceland Sea, East Iceland Current,  hydrography, ADCP data and RAFOS floats. Cooperation with WHOI.

Approach other people that “naturally” belong here; Mari Myksvoll & Lars Asplin (ROMS & Ice shelves, IMR), Mehmet Illicak (NorESM, Uni), others ?

Practically no funding is available internally.
Quite a large group that has common interest in the Marginal Ice Zone (Leads, waves, turbulent boundary layer, brine release, ice formation). Response of the atmosphere to these large changes in heat flux from below. We discussed a possible common paper, but reached no clear conclusion. People are very busy working with the funded projects.
SKD has some money for new projects, and RG’s have been asked to apply. NFR has a polar call in spring 2014 as well.
Required: All BCCR partners, climate dynamics, 50% of funding is available. Applications in April 2014, running (2015-2018)
What drives the Barents Sea temperature variance maximum in CMIP5 models is one idea.
ALL: TO DO: Come up with good ideas for a SKD research project.  
BCCR Getaway (Geilo 13.-15. January, 2014):
Members of the group are adviced to attend, as long as they plan to be active in the group, and ccoperate with other BCCR researchers in the future. The BCCR will over the next year merge with SKD, so the “Bjerknes Centre” name should be used as our “trademark” in all outreach and internationally. Projects that are working on “climate research” and have two or more of the BCCR partners has to be “Bjerknes Projects” and help cover the salary for the BCCR “outreach” person.

RG5 Group budget grants onwards from january 2015:
8000,-  December 2014, Mehmet, AGU meeting, (less than 50% of total cost)
6000,- January 2015, Lars H. ECRA General assembly, Brussels, (100% of travel cost, Coordinating Chair of Arctic ECRA)
6000,- March 2015, Chuncheng, EGU meeting, for travel, conference and stay granted (50% of total).
6000,-  March 2015, Elin, Submission fee, Ocean Science
(“On the modulation of the periodicity of the Faroe Bank Channel overflow instabilities” by E. Darelius,et al.)
8500,- March 2015, Joachim reuder, visiting researcher, FRIPRO application writing, Zbigniew Sorbjan, Marquette University.

2016: (Total granted now 52.000)
- Victoria Miles, 10.000, International Arctic Workshop, Boulder USA
- Mostafa Bakhoday, 10.000, Ocean Science + Woods Hole, USA
- Natalia Ivanova or Pierre Rampal, 10.000, European Space Agency Living Planet Symposium 2016,  Prague, Czech
- Henrik Søyland, 12.000,- Ocean Science + Woods Hole, USA  
- Elin Daerlius, 10.000,- Nature Geoscience, Publication

2017: Applications (40.000 available) 

-  Yongbiao Weng, 15.000 Cruise from Cape Town, South Africa
-  Igor Esau, 9000,-, Delft, Holland, Decadal Boundary Layer workshop in Delft
- Ilker Fer, 14.000,- Prague, Arctic Science Summit Week, MOSAIC workshop.
- Lars H. Smedsrud, 12.000,- Wien, EGU 2017. Invited speaker.