The content of this page is mainly related to the following subjects:
Tor A Strand. Norway, phone + 47 90 97 10 86
Office: Centre for International Health,
University of Bergen, Haukeland Hospital, 5021 Bergen,
phone + 47 55 97 46 00
1) Strand TA, Briles DE, Maage A, Gjessing H, Blomberg B, Bhan MK, Sommerfelt H. Pneumococcal pulmonary infection and septicemia in young zinc deficient mice, Presented at the 8th International Congress on Infectious Diseases, Boston, MA, May 1998.
2) Strand TA, Chandyo RK, Bahl R, Sharma PR, Adhikari RK, Bhandari N, Ulvik RJ,, Mølbak K, Bhan MK, Sommerfelt H, Effectiveness of Zinc During Acute Diarrhoea in Young Children in Nepal. Presented at the 9th Asian Conference on Diarrheal Diseases and Nutrition, New Delhi, September 2001
3) Strand TA, Chandyo RK, Bahl R, Sharma PR, Adhikari RK, Bhandari N, Ulvik RJ, Mølbak K, Bhan MK, Sommerfelt H, Zinc Administration in Nepalese Children with Acute Diarrhea, who will benefit most?. Presented at the 11th conference on Trace Elements in Man and Animals held at Berkeley Ca, June 2 to 6 2002
Selected oral presentations
1) Strand TA, Aaberge IS, Maage A, Ulvestad E, Sommerfelt H. 1998. Immune response to Pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine in zinc deficient mice. In the10th International Congress of Immunology, New Delhi, India, November 1998.
2) Strand TA, Effectiveness of Zinc During Acute Diarrhoea in Young Children in Nepal WHO workshop in New Delhi, India, May 7, 2001
3) Strand TA, Zinc administration in children with acute diarrhea reduces the duration and risk of persistence and may be more effective in children with severe inflammation, “Bringing Zinc to the People conference”, ICDDR,B, Dhaka, Bangladesh, April 17, 2005
4) Strand TA, Studies on zinc and infection at the Centre for International Health. Conference of the Norwegian Association of Epidemiology, November 11, 2004
Summary of the PhD thesis Zinc and Infectious Disease studies of mice and men
Synopsis of the PhD thesis
1) Strand TA, 2000. Ongoing Nutritional Intervention Trial in Bhaktapur, Vitamin A and Zinc Administration during Diarrhea, Souvenir, Nepal Paediatric Association (NEPAS) Journal2) Strand TA, 2003. Oral zinc in childhood diarrhea a review. Invited leading article in the CARE jounal. 2003;4:3-5.
2) Bhan MK, Sommerfelt H, and Strand TA. 2001. Micronutrient Deficiency in Children. Brit J Nutrit. 85; suppl no. 2; S199-S203
3) Bahl R, Baqui A, Bhan MK, Bhatnagar S, Black RE, Brooks WA, Cuevas LE, Dutta P, Frischer R, Ghosh S, Malhotra S, Penny M, Roy SK, Sachdev HPS, Sack DA, Sazawal S, Strand TA, Effect of Zinc Supplementation on Clinical Course of Acute Diarrhoea, WHO Meeting Report, 2001 338 J Health Popul Nutr 2001 Dec;19(4):338-346
4) Strand TA, Chandyo RK, Bahl R, Sharma PR, Adhikari RK, Bhandari N, Ulvik RJ, Mølbak K, Bhan MK, and Sommerfelt H. Effectiveness and efficacy of zinc for the treatment of acute diarrhea in young children. Pediatrics. 2002 May;109(5):898-903.
5) Bhandari N, Bahl R, Taneja S, Strand TA, Molbak K, Ulvik RJ, Sommerfelt H, and Bhan MK. 2002. Effect of routine zinc supplementation on pneumonia in children aged 6 months to 3 years: randomised controlled trial in an urban slum. BMJ 324:1358.
6) Bhandari,N, Bahl R, Taneja S, Strand TA, Molbak K, Ulvik RJ, Sommerfelt H, and Bhan MK. 2002. Substantial reduction in severe diarrheal morbidity by daily zinc supplementation in young north Indian children. Pediatrics 109:e86.
7) Bahl R, Bhandari N, Saksena M, Strand TA, Kumar GT, Bhan MK, and Sommerfelt H. Efficacy of zinc-fortified oral rehydration solution in 6- to 35-month-old children with acute diarrhea. J Pediatr 2002;141(5):677-82.
8) Strand TA, Hollingshead SK, Julshamn K, Briles DE, Blomberg B, Sommerfelt H. Effects of Zinc Deficiency and Pneumococcal Surface Protein A Immunization on Zinc Status and the Risk of Severe Infection in Mice. Infect Immun 2003;71:2009-2013.
9) Strand TA, Sharma PR, Gjessing, HK, Ulak, M, Chandyo, RK, Adhikari, RK and Sommerfelt H. Risk Factors for Prolonged Illness in Young Children with Acute Diarrhea, Submitted and under revision following a favorable review.
10) Karlsen TH, Sommerfelt H, Klomstad S, Andersen PK, Strand TA, Ulvik RJ, Ahren C and Grewal HMS. Intestinal and Systemic Immune Responses to an Oral Cholera Toxoid B Subunit Whole-Cell Vaccine Administered during Zinc Supplementation. Infect Immun 2003;71:3909-13.
14) Chandyo RK and Strand TA, Zinc for Child Health; Implications of Research Findings, Journal of Nepal Medical Association, 2004; 43; 154: 223-8
16) Chandyo RK, Strand TA, Ulvik RJ, Adhikari RK , Ulak M, Dixit H, and Sommerfelt H. Prevalence of Iron Deficiency and Anemia among Healthy Women of Reproductive age in Bhaktapur, Nepal Eu J Clin Nutr 2006;
17) Strand TA, Taneja S, Bhandari N, Refsum H, Ueland PM, Schneede J|, Bahl R, Bhan MK Sommerfelt H. Folate, but not Cobalamin Status Predicts Respiratory Morbidity in North Indian Children. Am J Clin Nutr 2007; 86: 139-44 2007
18) Taneja S, Bhandari N, Strand TA , Sommerfelt H, Refsum H, Ueland PM, Schneede J, Bahl R, Bhan MK. Cobalamin and folate status in infants and young children in a low-to-middle income community in India. Am J Clin Nutr (2007) vol. 86 (5) pp. 1302-9
|Stata programs (own)
In the "command" window in Stata type:
net from http://www.uib.no/people/mihtr/stata
Stata programs (others)
reformat, program for making tables from regression output
Sample size calculation for survival functions (Cox, time to an event). Web-based
On the zinc diarrhea project in;
On the zinc pneumonia project in;